Current Watches and Warnings
Florida, Coastal Miami Dade County
Coastal Hazard Statement
Statement as of 2:18 PM EDT on October 23, 2014
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on October 24, 2014
... High rip current risk in effect from 8 PM EDT this evening
through Friday evening...
The National Weather Service in Miami has issued a high rip
current risk... which is in effect from 8 PM EDT this evening
through Friday evening.
* Timing... this evening through Friday evening.
* Impacts... rip currents are expected at the Atlantic beaches
creating hazardous conditions for swimming.
There is a high risk of rip currents.
Rip currents are powerful channels of water flowing quickly away
from shore... which occur most often at low spots or breaks in The
Sandbar and in the vicinity of structures such as jetties and
piers. Heed the advice of lifeguards and the beach patrol. Pay
attention to flags and posted signs.
If you become caught in a rip current... do not panic. Remain
calm and begin to swim parallel to shore. Once you are away from
the force of the rip current... begin to swim back to the beach.
Do not attempt to swim directly against a rip current. Even a
strong swimmer can become exhausted quickly.
Statement as of 5:28 AM EDT on October 24, 2014
Expires 12:00 PM EDT on October 24, 2014
... A significant weather advisory is in effect for Miami-Dade
County for heavy rain and gusty wind...
A low pressure system, developing over the Florida Straits, may
bring wind gusts of 30 to 35 miles per hour and heavy rain at
times, through at least early this afternoon. Total rainfall
accumulations of 2 to 3 inches, with locally heavier amounts, are
While currently not expecting any widespread flooding, localized
street flooding may be possible, especially in low lying areas,
and areas with poor drainage.
Low pressure is expected to begin exiting the region early this
afternoon. Gusty winds will continue into this evening, and then
begin to gradually diminish as low pressure moves off to to the
Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or your local media for the later
updates on this situation.
- Alaska - High Surf Advisory , Dense Fog Advisory , Record Report
- Arkansas - Flood Warning
- California - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch
- Colorado - Public Information Statement
- Florida - Coastal Hazard Statement , Special Statement
- Guam - High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Record Report
- Idaho - Record Report
- Illinois - Dense Fog Advisory
- Indiana - Public Information Statement
- Iowa - Dense Fog Advisory , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Dense Fog Advisory
- Maine - Areal Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Minnesota - Dense Fog Advisory
- Missouri - Dense Fog Advisory
- Montana - High Wind Advisory , Lake Wind Advisory
- Nevada - Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory
- New Hampshire - Public Information Statement
- North Carolina - Frost Advisory
- North Dakota - Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Oregon - High Wind Watch , Special Statement , Record Report
- Utah - Special Statement
- Washington - Special Statement , Record Report
- Wisconsin - Dense Fog Advisory
- Wyoming - Special Statement